Have you ever walked into someone else’s home and privately thought to yourself, “Wait a minute, people actually live here? Did I just walk into a catalog by accident?”
No shame! You know the houses we’re talking about, the ones with warm welcoming smells and gorgeous dramatic mood lighting. It’s enough to make anyone want to turn around and do a top to bottom IKEA home makeover. Well good news, no starting over necessary! Here are our favorite, most impactful DIY home projects, and they can all be done in just one afternoon.
The quickest way to add some style to the front of your home is with a bucket of paint and a few live plants. Follow these steps for a smooth overhaul.
- Take a good look at your front door. How is the color – faded? peeling? sun blistered? vintage? brand new? There is no wrong answer here. Just take a step back to decide if you want to take the time to repaint the whole door, or if maybe an accent trim would better suit your home.
- If you decide on the whole door, follow these steps by our friends over at SF Gate!
- If only the trim around your door needs some love, read on!
- Tape off ANYTHING you don’t want paint to get on, & lay down floor covers or an old towel on your porch/ doorstep.
- Begin lightly sanding the trim around your door, gently removing old paint, harsh wood or cracks. (180-220 fine grit sandpaper works great! – Find it here)
- Pick a paint! We prefer water-based over oil based because it’ll dry MUCH faster. Try a product like Behr paint and primer in one, they have a huge selection of colors! Just be sure to choose a glossy or semi-gloss finish to make your statement door pop.
Framing the front of your home with greenery and life will instantly make it more welcoming. Don’t worry, you don’t even need a green thumb to have healthy house plants!
- Keep it simple. Look up what plant species thrive in your local environment and stick with those to start. (Tip: if you live in the dessert, consider using cactus’s and succulents. They can really bring your home to life and are low maintenance.)
- Pick your hardware – shop online at your favorite retailer or in store at the Home Depot!
- Consider a hanging herb garden. What better way to spice up the front of your home than with some mint, basil, and rosemary? These, as well as lavender, can be easily planted and maintained in a hanging feature like this!
Find Your Scent
Incense, candles, diffusers – oh my!
It could be warm spices reminiscent of childhood baking, soothing eucalyptus to inspire a spa like serenity, or something light and clean like fresh linen. This scent is going to define your home, so if you’re unsure what you like, don’t be afraid to try a few! Here are our top picks.
- With echoes of baked strawberry cake, rose petals and wild mint, the Hygge diffuser embodies the scent of Danish design and is sure to draw attention. Get yours here.
- Scentsy has a wide variety of warmers and diffusers that will elevate your home impact and fill your house with any smell you’d like. As a bonus, the soft LED night lights are gorgeous AND functional!!
- With its large water tank, the Pure Spa allows your home to be filled with a cool fragrant mist all day long, running up to 10 hours on low energy mode. Add a few drops of your favorite essential oil, and let this timer controlled diffuser do the rest!
What else would you add to our quick, DIY home improvement list?
– – – – –